Ventura Foods is seeking applicant for a Refrigeration Technician in Birmingham, AL. Ventura Foods is a leading global manufacturer of branded and custom food products that proudly helps food providers in the U.S., Canada and more than 60 other countries earn a special place on consumers’ tables. We do this by continually crafting custom dressings, sauces, mayonnaises, and other food solutions that exceed peoples’ expectations for great-tasting flavors and high-quality ingredients.
PAY: $28.50+ PER HOUR
BASED UPON EXPERIENCE
1ST SHIFT: 6:45AM - 3PM (TIME FLUCTUATES +/- BASED ON PRODUCTION NEEDS)
Executes the operational requirements of the PSM / RMP programs, conducts training, manages documentation and writes SOP’s to ensure compliance to the program. Installs, inspects and repairs mechanical equipment items such as pumps, compressors, filling and processing equipment tied to the Ammonia and related cooling systems. Operate ammonia refrigeration equipment (compressors, condensers, receiving vessels, and pumps) to ensure safe and effective performance of the system. Operate and maintain the steam boilers as well as overseeing the annual boiler inspection and certification with outside auditors. Keeps training current to comply with IIAP/RETA requirements ( Ammonia Operator and Administrator training).
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of contractors performing work on the ammonia refrigeration system and other pieces of equipment related to the ammonia system. Oversees the boiler treatment program and boiler inspections. Includes pre-job reviews, contractor job assessments and verification of contractor technician credentials and completion of onsite-orientation before work begins.
- Work from oral and/or written instructions, prints and sketches; take field measurements and make workable sketches; prepare parts lists and purchase requisitions; make accurate, clear, complete and concise reports; prepare work schedules; and keep records on all work done and any equipment inspections performed. Completes forms such as contractor time sheets, parts used from inventory log, and work orders. Prepares draft RFE descriptions for the Ammonia and Boiler systems
- Perform routine preventative maintenance procedures on all plant equipment including refrigeration equipment, and to fill out all of the associated paperwork. Dismantle, inspect, repair and re-assemble any standard machine or equipment item commonly used in the department. Monitor operation of the compressors and boilers. Change the oil, as needed. Change high pressure relief valves. Coordinates MII element of PSM program. Documents work by self, others and contractors into MII files and EAM system. Maintains recommended PM activities per IIAR/RETA and OEM recommendations.
- Review and maintain all PSM documentation and logs, MOC, PSI, training documents and maintenance records. Assist HQ and 3rd party personnel with audits. Audits anticipated are: compliance, mechanical integrity, infrared, vibration and oil analysis, etc.
- Recognize mechanical defects in machines and equipment by touch, sight and/or sound. Maintain the refrigeration equipment in compliance with OSHA-mandated Process Safety Management plan for a facility with 12,000+ lbs. ammonia present.
- Develop, perform and train on SOP’s, SMP’s and other pertinent ammonia related documents. Leads teams as assigned to complete maintenance and repair activities. Leads annual SOP validation activities and documents results. Updates SOP’s as needed.
- Proficiently utilize calipers, feelers, micrometers, etc. in order to secure tolerance of 0:00l inches on equipment where required. Perform chemical tests on water from the boiler to ensure correct operation. Coordinates predictive testing on the ammonia system.
- Read and interpret mechanical drawings of machines and equipment. Redline modifications to existing drawings and manage updates.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for following all Food Safety policies, procedures and regulatory criterion including the current SQF code, Good Manufacturing Practices, and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and associated Preventive Controls.
- High school diploma or GED required with demonstrated ability in mathematics and science. Sufficient secondary training (college, trade school, work experience) in basic mechanical concepts and principles is a plus. 5 years experience with ammonia refrigeration in the food industry required. Refrigeration certifications are a plus. Will be required to obtain and maintain Ammonia level 3 certification with administrator components.
- Working knowledge of materials which are applicable to various conditions and services in the department. Ability to read and comprehend job procedures; log sheets; equipment/part prints and diagrams; and equipment manuals and labels. Ability to record, calculate (add, subtract, multiply and divide), interpret and communicate various data relevant to his department. Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel software programs and ability to learn and use JDE as required. Must be able to identify and report any operating system or food safety concerns.
- $1,000 Sign-on & Referral Program
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time
- Medical & Prescription Coverage
- Dental Benefits
- Vision Benefits
- Profit Sharing and 401k Matching
- Basic and Supplemental (AD&D) Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Interested candidates may apply by clicking the "APPLY" button below:
Equal Opportunity Employer